Andy Thomson Towing of CanAm RV Centre (in Ontario) is an expert in RV towing and a great asset to RVing. To understand just how good he is, you have to watch his videos.
He personally helped me understand towing properly with my Audi Q7 – via some emails. He is incredibly helpful. On the Air Forums, I got lots of opinions, some of which were helpful. Andy’s experience (he has set up 2000+ of my vehicle platform for towing Airstreams) plus his knowledge and recommendations made my towing experience far better than I ever expected.
He covers in detail why certain hitches are better than others, how to get your WD set perfectly on all four tow vehicle wheels, and how to adjust the WD setup after break-in, plus when you know it is out of adjustment (mainly during break-in) and how to fine adjust by as little as 1/3 chain link increments (rather than just full links of chain).
It is really amazing as you see how he sets up his Tesla Model 3 to easily and safely tow his 27′ Airstream. he as of this writing has towed it 5000KM plus. He even shows off its amazing stability in some video.
- How To Set Up Weight Distribution Correctly (most hitches on the road are not correctly setup) (and sway control)
- Custom Hitch/WD on a Tesla Model 3
- Why Audi tells you not to use a WD setup with the Q7 (it is actually perfectly fine with its factory hitch plus it is an excellent tow vehicle)
- Torsion Bar Setup – Ball Mount Setup – The Can Am Hitch System
Update – October 2022 – we just got back from a trip from central PA to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We left in driving wind and rain, with our tow vehicle and hitch all set up as shown in the content above. We mostly drove on interstates, with big rigs buzzing by us. The Audi Q7 we use was really stable and comfortable towing, even in the wind and rain, and even when I was going a bit faster than we travel (faster than 65 mph). On the way back, we sort of accidentally took a road up through a mountain road in the Appalachians through some switchbacks – again in the rain and this time with wet leaves on the road, and the rig again was solid and stable. One note I always make to people about towing – we are always cognizant of the Airstream behind us, and drive with care. We never drive as if there is nothing being towed.
More About CanAM RV and Andy Thomson Towing in Ontario, Canada
CanAM RV, Ontario’s top-rated RV center, provides comprehensive and professional RV services that cater to the needs of every RV enthusiast.
- RV Sales: At CanAM RV, we boast a vast inventory of high-quality, new and pre-owned RVs. Whether you’re after a simple camper or a luxury motorhome, our wide selection caters to all tastes and budgets, ensuring you find your perfect road companion.
- RV Service and Repairs: We employ a team of skilled technicians, ready to tackle any RV repair or maintenance task. From routine servicing to major overhauls, we ensure your vehicle is in the best condition for your next adventure.
- RV Rentals: Can’t commit to buying an RV just yet? Explore our affordable and flexible RV rental options. Our fleet is well-maintained and includes a variety of models to suit your unique travel needs.
- Parts and Accessories: Upgrade or maintain your RV with our extensive range of RV parts and accessories. Whether you need replacement parts, camping supplies, or custom upgrades, we’ve got you covered.
- Expert Advice: Our dedicated team, with years of RV experience, is ready to assist you with any queries, be it RV purchasing, maintenance tips, or travel advice.
In our commitment to providing a top-notch customer experience, CanAM RV continually sets the standard for RV services in Ontario, Canada. Our unmatched services have made us the preferred choice for RV lovers, cementing our reputation as a trusted RV service provider.